Monday, May 14, 2012

      Scieszka, Jon (1991). The frog prince continued. New York, New York: Penguin Group.


You think you know your fairy tales about the frog and the prince until you read about after the "happily ever after." The prince and princess find themselves in a "rut" and very unhappy. With all the nagging from the princess, the prince decides to do something about it. He sets out to find a witch to turn him back into a frog. On his quest, he discovers that his idea of "happily ever after" may have been somewhat skewed. Does he find a witch to grant his wish or.....to be continued...


I chose The Frog Prince Continued for this genre. I had never read the book and happened upon it when I was searching for another title by the same author. I am glad I did though! The book has very unique illustrations that aren't as juvenile as some picture books you might read. In my mind while reading, I was comparing the style of the pictures to the animations in the movie Nightmare Before Christmas. There is sometimes humor that children wouldn't pick up on what is hidden in the illustrations. A younger audience might have to be guided to find all the hidden messages and innuendos. Having said that, the older children would really find this book hilarious on their own, I believe.  The younger ones might not recognize the connections to the fairy tales they all know and love without some guidance throughout the story. 


BIG question- Give an example of a time when the outcome of your desires failed to meet your expectations. 






No comments:

Post a Comment